Monday, November 8, 2010

Bikram Yoga and Running


Plans for the studio are moving along. The architects and engineers will be finished with the plans by the end of the week.

In the meantime, I am coming off of a high from running the 41st NYC Marathon yesterday. This is my 3rd full marathon, but only my 1st since I have discovered Bikram Yoga. Bikram Yoga has made my running a completely different experience. Bikram likes to say, "you can mess with the Gods, but you can't mess with your knees."

Rarely do you hear "running" and "healthy knees" in the same sentence. As I was standing in the post finish line herd to claim our baggage and exit Central Park, I did not hear anyone boast about how great their knees, ankles and hips felt. Most of us were in some degree of physical agony. We all dealt with our own cramps and aches silently in the quiet cold until I sarcastically proclaimed how great my legs felt. Everyone started to join into a pain chorus. The validation was a bit calming to know that I wasn't the only one that wanted the crampy-stabbing feeling torture to stop.

Bikram was inspired to create this yoga to heal his own knee after a horrible weight-lifting accident during his youth. His knee was crushed so horribly, that the medics thought they may have to amputate. At the least, they thought he would not have use of his leg anymore. Bikram returned to his yoga guru and his guru coached Bikram through the poses that would heal his knee. It worked, Bikram promised a life of service to his guru and to the yoga. He created an amazing, unchanging, strengthening and healing yoga practice. A practice suitable for all people, no matter how old, how sick or how out of shape.

My training approach with this marathon was different than my others. A yoga teacher once told me that you need to match the time in your yoga practice with the time in your other physical activity (running, weight-lifting, other sports, etc.). This has been my physical equation for the past three years. I have become stronger, faster and injury free.

I wanted to ease back into running since I hadn't been running on a regular basis for over a year. As a regular Bikram Yoga practitioner, I could notice how much stronger all of my systems were during my marathon training. My cardiovascular system: My heart was strong, I felt like I had never stopped running on a regular schedule. My nervous system: my body adjusted well to the impact and stress. My respiratory system: Breath control was steady and oxygen always plentiful (even in 90% humidity Alabama summer days). Circulatory system: Capillaries wide open! Immune system: I've not encountered illness once in my three years of practicing Bikram Yoga- no runs missed because of sick days. Digestive system: In the past, I had suffered with some GI issues during my long runs, but not this go around! Mentally, I was more focused on the moment at hand and I ran smarter and continued to push it to my edge, safely.

During my months of training, I did have a knee/ITB that nagged a bit. So I took a week off from the running and did just the yoga. My knee had time to heal and I still maintained my strength and endurance and I added flexibility.

I arrived in NYC on Thursday night, I ran my last training run on Friday, and practiced yoga Saturday morning at Bikram Yoga Chelsea. Sunday was the big day. I arrived in Staten Island with almost 4 hours to wait until my wave start. It was a frigid morning and Pranayama breathing kept me warm and relaxed. The marathon was spectacular and I ran with joy and ease! Indeed, as soon as I stopped at the finish line, the cold and cramps set in. As soon as I maneuvered through Central Park and out to the the west side, I met my husband and we jumped the #2 train down to Bikram Yoga Manhattan- Chelsea. Some other students and my husband thought I was crazy for submitting myself to "Bikram's Torture Chamber" after running through every borough of NYC. I couldn't imagine a better place. The hot room felt like butter melting over my overtoasted muscles and ligaments. I could feel my body healing immediately from every posture. I felt restored.

Today I still feel good. I taught a powerful spinning class tonight and tomorrow I'll run a little and practice Bikram after. I'll continue to enjoy a life with the benefits of Bikram Yoga. I'm excited as ever to bring this yoga to Birmingham, AL and share these benefits with all who seek a better, healthier life.

2 comments:

  1. so proud of you!:D
    you inspire me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woow you're very inspiring!
    Do you mind sharing your training plan? I'm planning to run the Seattle Marathon for the first time but I don't know how to incorporate bikram/power yoga into the plan. Do you have any advice? TIA

    ReplyDelete