Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Marathon Mind of Yoga

Hello friends,
We have a brand new website up and running! You will now be able to follow our blogs on www.bikrambirmingham.com. This will be the last post on Blogger.com. Please join us on the new site!

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of cheering on many friends and fellow Alabama runners in the 10th annual Mercedes Marathon in downtown Birmingham. It was a beautiful day and even a little on the warm side. The staff of Lululemon (an athletic clothing company that I am affiliated with) and I set up our cheering section in an industrial area of downtown Birmingham.

I love going to marathons and letting the runners know how amazing they are. This was my first time cheering for the almost full 7 hours of the marathon time limit. The courage and strength was very visible in the faces and bodies of the participants.

The Mercedes Marathon regulates that everyone must finish within 7 hours or they must leave the course so that the roads can be reopened to traffic. The pacesetter is the “Balloon Lady”. She walks a 16-minute mile through the entire course and has a bouquet of balloons tied to her waist. If she passes you, your race is over.

There was a pack of about 10 participants just steps ahead of Balloon Lady. They knew she was breathing down their neck. They were putting forth more effort than most that I had seen in the marathon. They were determined not to give up and stay in the race.

Bikram Choudhury, the creator of Bikram Yoga, talks about using your Bengal Tiger strength English Bulldog determination in his class. There is a point when you exert yourself and think that you physically have nothing more to give. At that time, you have to quiet your mind and stop the negative internal chatter. You have to let that extra special something within your being take over.

A Bikram Yoga class can be very similar to the experience of the marathon. It’s your event, you may have a goal to finish strong, or maybe just to finish. There can be distractions and moments of weakness, but you have to learn that they are only temporary. You have a teacher on the sidelines to guide you and encourage you throughout your experience. You have other participants around you who want to do well and want you to do well. There is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment, gratitude and peace when you are finished.

We each have our own “Balloon Lady” in our lives. It could be stress, lack of focus, injury, obesity or disease. Ideally, we never want to see the Balloon Lady, but various factors can suddenly pop up in our lives, and BOOM, there she is! We have to train and learn to manage these variables. A consistent Bikram Yoga practice gives you the opportunity to stay miles ahead of the Balloon Lady! Never give up!

1 comment:

  1. Greetings everyone, my name is Karen Paul I am from wales I have heard about this loan officer called Mr Benjamin Lee and his investors that are helping people with loans all around the world truly I found people testified about his wonderful work and I was surprised why I did not find this company on time. I never believed what the people said about the company until I apply and gave it a try the amount I was looking for was big and it was for a real estate the loan amount was $10.5 million US dollars and so I applied and Mr Benjamin lee talked to me but since my loan was large it took just 5 working days to receive my loan cause they told me there loan service was 48 hours to receive loan. The only thing he told me to do was to deposit the application fee which the it's was processing fee to process my loan  when he told me that once I was afraid it was a scam but I said let me give it a try I deposited the application fee which was stated and that was all I deposited behold in less than 5 working days like he said truly I received a message from my bank that sum amount of money which was $10.5 million US dollars has been credited in my bank account and everything about the money the details and who it came from was there behold it was Mr Benjamin Lee loan company who helped me when i first saw it I was surprised i never believed my eyes but it was true. So I told my self since other people that the company helped testified about there good deeds let me do mine cause to not easy to see a legit loan company online this days so anyone from anywhere who needs an online loan without getting cheated apply from this company cause they only that can help i have confirmed it and it is true I am so happy and I know this company will make other people happier than me. You can contact this company via mail or Whatsapp but I used Whatsapp cause it was faster mail address of the company is +1 989-394-3740, 247officedept@gmail.com. Thanks everyone regards from Karen Paul from Wales.

    ReplyDelete