Thursday, February 3, 2011

Yoga kids

Last week, I had the opportunity to teach yoga to the students of Pizitz Middle School in Vestavia Hills, AL. The seven classes ranged in size from about 40 - 100. Many were eager to try something new while others were skeptical. The attitudes were no different than adults that I seen in my regular classes.

What surprised me was the inflexibility that these 11 - 13 year old students exhibited. I teach younger children in my regular classes all of the time. The younger children usually demonstrate a high level of flexibility and are able to do Bikram's Beginning Yoga postures.

I realized that some major lifestyle change occurs between elementary school and middle school. Children become less active and more sedentary. I think this might be the point where many of us lose the majority of our flexibility. At this stage we become more susceptible to injury and obesity. Yikes!

The heat of a Bikram Yoga Class will help restore flexibility and create a lifestyle practice that will help avoid injury and obesity. What we've lost over the years can return in a matter of weeks or months with a consistent yoga practice at Bikram Yoga Birmingham! Get ready to get hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment